Thursday 2 April 2009

Definition of an 'Artist'


art⋅ist

    [ahr-tist]  Show IPA
–noun
1.a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria.
2.a person who practices one of the fine arts, esp. a painter or sculptor.
3.a person whose trade or profession requires a knowledge of design, drawing, painting, etc.: a commercial artist.
4.a person who works in one of the performing arts, as an actor, musician, or singer; a public performer: a mime artist; an artist of the dance.
5.a person whose work exhibits exceptional skill.
6.a person who is expert at trickery or deceit: He's an artist with cards.
7.Obsoletean artisan.

Is the above what one considers an artist?  I don't think so.  I bought my canvas and some beautiful new acrylic colours....it started off so well....gorgeous lilacs and wedgewood blues...and then i plastered on the black!  and messed it up.  I have now re-done the face and will start again.  But the word artist has been going over and over in my head the last few days.  WHAT IS AN ARTIST?  Does the fact that i love art...i love creating art...i love playing....i have NEVER sold a painting or piece of work....make me an artist???  I don't think it does.  I think i need to work harder :)


No comments:

Post a Comment