Tuesday 24 April 2012

Social Networking and Marketing my work!

Everywhere i read, tweet, fb, promote promote promote!  I have had a blog now for 3 years and posted on a regular basis.  I have re-tweeked it, made it look prettier, posted about all sorts of things.  I tweet about my blog, my etsy shop.  I update my FB page with new work, new posts etc etc.  I have tried many many different tacts to no avail.  By rule of thumb all of this social networking i have been doing should have got me more views and possibly more sales by now....but no!

Does this mean my work is just not buyable?  Or am i just not 'networking' hard enough.

Twitter.....i find this a very lonely social networking site.  Most of you will probably be screaming at the monitor 'no way'.  But seriously, it is.  Half the time i stare at it not quite knowing what to say, therefore i plug my blog, shop etc....well isn't that just spamming?  and doesn't that wind people up?

FB......getting people to actually 'like' your page is half the battle....100 and something fans later and it still doesn't seem to work for me. 

Blog.....as i said, i update and update.  I visit other blogs and comment.  Yet comments on my page are few and far between and most of my followers probably don't even come back for a second read. 

Etsy.....well....i have seen some real rubbish on there.  Hair accessories that a 3 year old could throw together (no offence etsy people and i'm bound to now get many followers desert me) but its true!  I spend hours re-inventing myself as an 'artist', trying to paint for my audience.  It's hard....again sales are few. 

As a 'shy artist type' i am not confident with my work and it took lots of years and courage to actually show it....what is the answer? 

I guess now this is the bit where i show a new painting and link it into my post


'It's ok to wear your heart on your sleeve'

Yes, i guess that kinda works :)

7 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel and right now my motivation is very low. I seem to spend so much time on all the sites you mention and nothing this is the worst April I have ever had and makes me think I should go do something else and yet I am addicted. Tomorrow is another day keeep your chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard out there!
    hopefully its just a blip for you :)
    and thanks for the comment! Just to know someone has read this makes it all worth while lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The online world is tough. I find that I respond mostly to blogs that show things people are working on or that tell stories about what is happening in their lives. Not everyone feels that way of course. I am amazed sometimes at the number of followers some bloggers have when all they do is troll the web and post pictures of other people's stuff. Who knows? I'm certainly no expert.

    For what it's worth, I like your painting!

    stopping by from Etsy Blog Team

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too get despondent at times, because I'm not a natural "networker" and it doesn't come easy for me to undertake the amount of social media interaction that seems to be required. I just have to keep reminding myself that I love what I do and that my work is good enoughto sell(as is yours!)and I'll just keep at it; I think it's starting to pay off. So don't despair!

    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Etsy has a wide variety of people, and it's a good idea (for many reasons) to join a team or two. Love your little heart above! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your art and am experiencing the same with my etsy store ... but I have gotten such wonderful feedback about my art I am not giving up ... I really can't ... I'm an artist and that is what I do. I try positive affirmations every morning and throughout the day ... something good is about to happen, for me and for you ... I see it. So, don't give up ... your art is amazing.

    Happiness and Abundance to all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the feeling! Am following you now!

    ReplyDelete